Jackets, Ashland compete for the G-MAC trophy
TIFFIN, Ohio — No. 5 Cedarville and No. 2 Ashland square off for the G-MAC Men’s Soccer Championship Saturday at Tiffin University’s Paradiso Fields.
Both teams reached this point by each cooling two of the hottest teams in the league in the semifinals.
The Yellow Jackets upset No. 1 Tiffin 2-1, while the Eagles used a second-half PK to blank No. 3 Lake Erie 1-0.
This will be the third meeting of the season with the road team claiming the previous two results.
Ashland is ranked No. 3 in the latest Super-Region 3 Top 12 while Cedarville is unranked.
- Ashland won 1-0 at Cedarville on Sept. 21 while the Jackets returned the favor, 2-1, at the Eagles on Oct. 6.
- CU leads the G-MAC with the fewest goals against (20) and Ashland is third (25).
- UC Goalkeeper Jared Zacharie continues to lead the G-MAC in goals-against average (0.75).
- This is the seventh G-MAC Championship game for the Yellow Jackets; they are 1-3-2 in the final.
- They played the first five league title games from 2012 to 2016 plus 2019.
- The Jackets have won three consecutive G-MAC Trophies in 2013 at Davis & Elkins (T, 0-0; PK’s, 4-3), 2014 at home against Davis & Elkins (W, 1-0) and 2015 at home against Alderson Broaddus (T, 1-1; PK, 4-2).
- CU’s losses in the G-MAC finals were to Urbana (1-2 aot) at home in 2012, to Alderson Broaddus (1-2 aot) in Elkins, WV in 2016, and to Tiffin (0-1) in Dayton, OH in 2019.
- Overtime is back in play for the playoffs. If necessary, there is no golden goal with two overtime periods of 10 minutes then PKs.
- The Yellow Jackets are 8-0-13 in their last 21 overtime games.
Saturday’s champion deserves the league’s automatic spot for the Division II championship. The NCAA draft show is scheduled for Monday night.