Try these delicious soups in this week’s Fareway Cooking segment
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) – Three healthy and delicious soups are in this week’s Fareway Cooking segment with Whitney Hemmer.
Chilli chicken breast
TOTAL TIME: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces of chicken broth
- 1 ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can Mrs. white chili beans Grimes®
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken, cooked
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- In a large saucepan, sauté garlic and onions in oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, beans, salsa, seasonings and chicken.
- Mix well and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and sour cream until melted.
238 calories; 8 g of fat; 3 g of saturated fat; 50mg of cholesterol; 597mg sodium; 18g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 23g protein
Lighter broccoli cheese
SERVES: 6 servings
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2/3 cup diced carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3-4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 medium head of broccoli)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- taste salt and pepper
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat butter or olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until melted. Add onion and carrots and sauté until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the flour and sauté for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Whisk broth until smooth.
- Add the milk, broccoli, mustard, salt and pepper and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in cheese until completely melted.
298 calories; 18.6 g of fat; 9.3 g of saturated fat; 50.9 mg of cholesterol; 383.9mg sodium; 18.5g carbohydrates; 2.3g fiber; 6.5g of sugar; 17g protein
vegetable soup with pasta
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 cups sodium-reduced vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cans Hunt’s Diced Tomatoes (14 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup pasta
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Saute carrots, celery, onion and zucchini until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, thyme, sage, bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then add the pasta. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in beans, spinach and cheese.
- Simmer another 5 minutes and serve.
161 calories; 2 g of fat; 1 g of saturated fat; 4mg of cholesterol; 346mg sodium; 27g of carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 11g protein
Copyright 2022 KCRG. All rights reserved.